1. Looking at the order of the soldiers that died and the manner in which they met their death, is there any deeper significance to this? Was the author trying to use each death to tell us something different about the theme? What is it?
2. What are all the symbols you can think of? Setting? What do they symbolize?
Class examples: boots, animal behaviors, cancer, etc.
3. Why, out of all of the diseases, does his mother have cancer?
4. How are women portrayed in this novel? Why does the author do this?
5. What is the theme?
Class examples: loss of innocence, loss of humanity, instinct, loss of individuality, etc.
6. What is the significance of authority figures? Compare the authority figures in this novel? Why did the author make them have these similarities? How can this relate to a possible theme?
7. Devyn said: I'm hearing that you are saying that compassion and thinking are weak.
THOUGHTS? Is Paul weak? How? How not?